What is the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority?
The Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority is the public authority created in 1983 by an act of the North Carolina Legislature to oversee the collection and investment of occupancy taxes paid by travelers who stay overnight in commercial lodging establishments, such as hotels and motels, bed and breakfast operations, and vacation rentals such as Airbnb and VRBOs. The members of the Buncombe County TDA Board have a fiduciary responsibility to ensure that the tax dollars are spent in accordance with the specific legislation governing their use.
- Meet the members of the Buncombe County TDA Board >>
- Find out about upcoming BCTDA meetings >>
- Review past BCTDA meeting minutes & documents >>
- Read past editions of the Tourism Community Update, providing highlights of BCTDA meetings >>
What are the Buncombe County TDA’s Strategic Imperatives?
The BCTDA oversees the work of the Explore Asheville Convention & Visitors Bureau, which develops and carries out advertising, marketing, public relations, and group sales plans to inspire leisure and business travelers to visit here. In 2021, the BCTDA adopted strategic imperatives that are informing and guiding the direction of Explore Asheville’s program of work and community investments going forward.
- Learn about the Buncombe County TDA and Explore Asheville’s Strategic Imperatives >>
- Read Monthly Highlights, reports that provide updates on progress toward these strategic imperatives >>
More About Buncombe County TDA & Explore Asheville
- Meet the staff of Explore Asheville CVB >>
- View the visitor-facing website >>
- Find out about services available to local tourism partners >>
- Review annual reports & economic impact research >>
- View the history of the Buncombe County TDA >>
To be a leader in the economic development of Buncombe County by attracting and servicing visitors, generating income, jobs and tax revenues, which make the community a better place to live and visit.
Asheville/Buncombe County will retain its unique, authentic and environmental charm while welcoming global visitors searching for personal enrichment and memorable experiences.