In June, 394 local businesses that provide a visitor experience received grants from the $5 million Buncombe Tourism Jobs Recovery Fund to help them safely and sustainably reopen, providing the support to reinstate or generate as many as 4,787 jobs.
Created by the Buncombe County TDA using occupancy tax collections designated for tourism product development, the fund was administered by Mountain BizWorks, a nonprofit that provides loans, classes, and coaching for small businesses.
Select Media Coverage
Here’s a roundup of media coverage about the Fund that includes stories and comments from industry partners on how the initiative is helping them.
- Featured partners: Hi-Wire Brewing, Lexington Glassworks, The Village Potters Clay Center
- Featured partners: Asheville Symphony, Button & Co. Bagels, Curate’, Green Sage Cafe
- Featured partners: AIR, Bouchon, Strada, The Social Lounge, Vivian, White Duck Taco
- Featured partner: Wedge Brewing
- Featured or mentioned partners: Asheville Beauty Academy, Asheville Yoga Center, Biscuit Head, Hood Huggers International, Rhubarb, The Orange Peel, Ultimate Ice Cream
- Mentioned partners: The Hop, The Orange Peel, and the full list of all 394 recipients
- Featured partners: Asheville Pizza & Brewing, Biscuit Head, Hood Huggers International, Ultimate Ice Cream
Presentations & Updates on the Fund
08.18.2020: Presentation to Buncombe County Commissioners
- Recording of Presentation by Explore Asheville CVB Interim Executive Chris Cavanaugh and Mountain BizWorks’ Director of Sector Development Noah Wilson (presentation starts at about 37:15 into the recording of the Commissioners meeting)
- Presentation includes remarks (in-person and virtual) by fund recipients Zebulon Artisan Ales, Hood Huggers International, Black Mountain Center for the Arts, and The Village Potters
07.29.2020: Update on the Fund & Grant Recipients
06.24.2020: Announcement of Fund Recipients & Methodology for Selection
- Recording of Presentation by Mountain BizWorks’ Executive Director Matt Raker and Director of Sector Development Noah Wilson at Buncombe County TDA’s June meeting