LISTING: A dedicated and dynamic individual profile page on ExploreAsheville.com (or any associated ACVB microsite) for partner businesses who adhere to the policies outlined herein. For each listing, partners will receive a login and will be responsible for managing and updating their individual listing in adherence with the stated policies below. Any listing on ExploreAsheville.com may be revised or updated at the discretion of the Explore Asheville CVB.
Editorial Content: From time to time, the Explore Asheville CVB will develop content for ExploreAsheville.com that helps tell the destination story to visitors, supports a media pitch or enhances a social promotion. In most instances, Explore Asheville CVB will link its editorial content to pertinent partner listing pages on ExploreAsheville.com that are in line with content design and usability strategies. Editorial and internal link choices will be made at the discretion of the Explore Asheville CVB. The Explore Asheville CVB retains the right to link offsite and develop strategic content partnerships outside of ExploreAsheville.com. Review the policy in detail here.
- Businesses that qualify for a listing, that also have locations outside of Buncombe County, are required to have a landing page on the business website with information promoting the Buncombe County location only. Information or links to other non-Buncombe County properties cannot be part of the landing page.
(Includes bed & breakfasts, inns, hotels, motels, resorts, cabins, cottages, villas, vacation rentals, hostels)
- All occupancy tax-collecting Buncombe County accommodations with five rooms or more will receive a complimentary listing on ExploreAsheville.com.
- Bed & breakfast properties with less than five rooms must provide a commercial business permit or zoning letter identifying the property as commercial lodging.
- Accommodations must agree to a reciprocal link to ExploreAsheville.com
- Companies representing accommodation booking services or lodging associations in multiple counties (e.g. vacation rentals) are required to create/submit a landing page that only promotes the Buncombe County accommodations they represent for linking purposes. No links to other non-Buncombe County properties can be seen in navigation.
- Accommodations will be listed by the official name based on the following criteria on the Web site:
- Exterior signage;
- Collateral pieces, stationary and business cards;
- Web site references used on individual Web site and any flagship site and/or listings.
- Prepositions such as The, At, On, And, A, etc., will not be considered in the alphabetical listing.
- Numerals will not be considered in the alphabetical listing, unless it is part of the official name as designated in the above criteria.
The following properties and business enterprises are not eligible for listing in the accommodations section of ExploreAsheville.com:
- Accommodations located outside Buncombe County.
- For-profit and not-for-profit properties or meeting facilities with on-site accommodations that are exempt by law from collecting accommodations taxes, or are located outside Buncombe County.
- Internet-based enterprises whose primary business is to book real-time online accommodations reservations.
Special Packages and Promotions
ExploreAsheville.com “Deals & Packages” page is reserved for:
- Area attractions, dining and/or accommodations promotions curated or organized by the Explore Asheville CVB that meet lodging guidelines.
- Packages for which the Explore Asheville CVB has contracted with an outside vendor to produce; any promotional Web pages developed in this manner may not include information about or link to non-Buncombe County accommodations.
- Special promotions or coupons offered by Western North Carolina-based attractions and restaurants.
- Packages developed through the aRes booking engine.
Decisions regarding businesses located outside Buncombe County that have Asheville-based packages will be made on a case-by-case basis. A fee may be assessed for this service.
In all cases, Explore Asheville CVB reserves the right to determine eligibility for inclusion on ExploreAsheville.com, the Official Asheville Travel Guide or in any other collateral or online promotion undertaken by BCTDA.
Calendar of Events
Tourism-related events located within Buncombe County and outside Buncombe County (at the discretion of the Explore Asheville CVB) but within the mountains of Western North Carolina may be listed at no charge in the Calendar of Events. The events posted shall be those determined by the Explore Asheville CVB to be of interest to visitors to Buncombe County. The Explore Asheville CVB reserves the right to determine eligibility for inclusion on ExploreAsheville.com with consideration given to the ability of the event to generate overnight lodging stay. The site is not intended to serve as a community calendar for events primarily of interest to a local residential population.
- Attractions located in Buncombe County may receive a listing.
- Attractions maintained by the federal government, State of North Carolina, a county or city government, located outside of Buncombe County, but within 100 miles of Asheville in the mountains of Western North Carolina, may receive a listing.
- Privately-run attractions located outside of Buncombe County, but within 100 miles of Asheville in the mountains of Western North Carolina, that are deemed major tourism day-trip draws from Buncombe County may receive a listing.
- Attractions/activities must agree to a reciprocal link to ExploreAsheville.com (unless specifically exempted by Explore Asheville CVB).
- The attractions posted shall be those determined by the Explore Asheville CVB to be of interest to visitors to Buncombe County. The BCTDA and Explore Asheville CVB will make the final determination if there is a question about an attraction.
- Duplicate listings for the same activity offering are not permitted.
- A single business or activity cannot be listed with multiple brand identities.
- For those attractions that offer accommodations, the attraction listing information included on the Web site will be limited to the promotion of the attraction/activity portion of the business.
(Includes accommodation associations, merchants associations, etc.)
- Non-profit membership organizations that represent Explore Asheville tourism partners may be included on the website in the Community Partners section at the discretion of the Explore Asheville CVB. A reciprocal link to ExploreAsheville.com is required. Membership organizations are not eligible for business listings or advertising opportunities.
Businesses without Storefronts
- Businesses that serve the traveler either on the leisure side or through group business may be considered for a listing at the discretion of the Explore Asheville CVB if they meet the following criteria:
- Hold a business license;
- Located in Buncombe County.
- Businesses approved for a listing will have a line added to the narrative description of the listing that indicates: Web-based Business.
- Approved businesses must agree to a reciprocal link to ExploreAsheville.com.
- Apps that are specific to Buncombe County or Western North Carolina that meet the initial criteria and are intended to offer a specific service (such as a parking payment system) or attraction-oriented apps that provide interpretive information or extends the visitor experience and does not overlap with functionality provided by ExploreAsheville.com may be considered for a listing on a case by case basis.
Wedding Service Providers
- Buncombe County businesses are eligible for inclusion in the wedding section.
- Businesses catering to multiple types of groups (meetings, conventions, etc.) must provide a link to a specific page or section promoting the wedding portion of their business.
- Businesses offering on-site non-occupancy tax collecting accommodations, cannot promote those accommodations on the wedding page link provided, unless they are eligible through the accommodations eligibility policy.
- Special event venue listing will be limited to Buncombe County sites independent of overnight accommodations or who can boast of an especially significant setting.
- Service providers may be listed in two major event site categories (excluding accommodations). The Explore Asheville CVB reserves the right to determine eligibility for the second major category.
- Service providers must agree to placement of a reciprocal link to ExploreAsheville.com.
- All non-fast food restaurants located in Buncombe County may receive a complimentary listing on ExploreAsheville.com.
- Restaurants in Buncombe County that are part of a non-occupancy tax collecting lodging facility and offer sleeping rooms can only include information about the restaurant portion of their business.
- Restaurants located outside Buncombe County are not eligible for inclusion.
- Restaurants must agree to placement of a reciprocal link to ExploreAsheville.com.
Ineligible to List:
- Not-for-profit meeting facilities with on-site accommodations exempted from collecting occupancy tax.
- Internet-based companies whose primary business is to book real-time online accommodation reservations.
- Accommodations located outside of Buncombe County.
- Real-estate, development companies and similar organizations.
- Other, as determined by the Explore Asheville CVB.
Please note that final interpretation is at the discretion of the Buncombe County TDA.